Friday, April 20, 2007

Drywall, Demo and Injury

I demo'd most of the kitchen cabinets today. It's messy work, but it felt great to get the ugly lead paint covered boxes out.

Since I've been borrowing my buddy Jason's truck, I've been able to take large items to the dump. When I was loading the truck with some metal-wrapped counter tops today, I made a boo-boo and cut myself pretty bad. Basically, a piece of metal filleted my knuckle. I've got a massive bandage on my hand as a result. I knew I wouldn't escape this renovation without some sort of injury!

The crew has been doing a bang up job on the drywall and theater installation (albeit a bit slower than scheduled).

The foreman is from Mexico as well as one of his drywall guys. The electrician is from Venezuela. We've had some good conversations today in Spanish about world affairs, women and soccer.

Cristian (electrician dude) told me tons of stories about his life as a teenager living in Miami, Florida. He said he has lived in the U.S. for eight years, but didn't start learning English until about a year ago. We talked about how in different parts of the U.S. you really don't need to know how to speak English since there are large Spanish speaking populations.

OK, onto the actual project photos. You'll notice the room is really starting to take shape since the drywall is up.


Speaker terminals are all set up in the media closet.




In the kitchen, we had to build another column (much to my dismay), since there were some building-specific lines that couldn't be relocated. Luckily, the island/breakfast counter should still fit.



The kitchen cabinents will be delivered tomorrow. I'm so excited to begin this next part of the renovation! Look for more photos ...

Later.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow! The condo is really coming together. I can't wait to see the pics of the slick white lacquer kitchen cabinets-- NYT Home & Garden section just featured some new condos in Jersey City at what used to be the American Can Company. The condos feature high end kitchens with white lacquer cabinets and stone countertops-- so you're style choice is definitely a hip one. Keep the updates coming and take care of that cut hand!
--Carmen