Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Demo Party

There are a ton of projects to do in my new place. Since I don't really own any furniture, it is really easy to make alterations/upgrades to the space.

The biggest eye sore in the entire condo definitely has to be the 1960s time capsule that barely passes for a kitchen.

A close runner-up in the "has-to-go" department, is the built-in bookcase in the living room. I need to hang my TV there!

To alleviate the first problem, I hired a contractor to remove three of the kitchen walls. Once that is done, I'll break out the 'ol hammer to install an island along with new cabinets, counter tops and appliances. Here's the before:


Here's the after:

I removed the beautiful tile flooring in the kitchen that was horribly installed by the previous owner (it must have been his first time doing tile). It was a TON of fun banging the shit out of the floor with an 18-pound sledge hammer.



To nip the second problem in the butt, the contractor has ripped out the bookcase and is in the process of installing drywall in it's place.


I built a media rack in the living room closet to hide all of my audio video components. The electrician is running all of the necessary wires so that I can have fully integrated Dolby Digital surround sound (of course!)

Yesterday I special ordered some Brazilian Cherry Wood flooring so that I can install it throughout the floorplan. It will be a big project, but I think I can handle it.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wahoo! This is inspiring :-) And fun to watch. Do you have a set plan or are you discovering things you want to do as you settle in?

Ryan Morris said...

I've got a plan for everything I want to do. I'm too type "A" to just wing it!

Electrician Wickford said...

I really liked this blog. You have a flair for design. Did you make sure the electrician you hired had all the relevant qualifications?